Thursday, May 13, 2010

"We Run on Fumes"


Breathe in.  Breathe out.  That's what I keep reminding myself to do.  Lately I've been feeling a little overwhelmed.   I took on another job.  Why?!  Oh you know, because I'm crazy.  As most of you know, my main career focus is my Arbonne business.  But until I get to the next level in my business, I'm also bartending on the weekends for the extra cash.   So, when I was recently offered a job bartending at a more upscale restaurant in town (that's really hard to get into), I of course took it!  Here's the catch... they have like a month long training program!  Seriously.   I guess no one told them that it's bartending... not brain surgery!  And I can't really quit the job at the other restaurant because I'm not making tips at the new place yet until I get through training!   I took the new job just figuring I would take a few shifts, and keep a shift or two at the current place.... but as of right now it's turned into me working pretty much 7 days a week between restaurant 1, restaurant 2, and Arbonne.   I'm almost done with the training and then I'll finally figure out what my schedule is going to be.    Plus, it's like THE restaurant to work at if you're going to work at a restaurant...so I keep trying to convince myself it will be worth all the hassle. 

Arbonne is definitely my focus and I don't want all of this craziness to interfere with that.   I'm so close to getting to the next level in my business, and once I do, I can just do that full time!   But right now, I just feel a lot of pressure.   I'm second guessing my decision to start at this new place, because in the long run, I don't want to be bartending at all!   All I want to do is grow my business, and I'm doing all I can to make that happen.   

This pressure is magnified by the fact that my parent's keep offering me positions at the family company.   My parents own a successful digital print company.   They would love nothing more than for me to join my brother in the business.   I worked there up until about 2 years ago when I grew my Arbonne business enough for me to quit.   It's not that I don't appreciate the offers, it's just that working there didn't make me happy.   With my Arbonne business, I really love what I do.   A lot of people I'm sure think I'm crazy for not taking the offers they've presented, especially since it would mean a huge pay increase immediately.  But the fact of the matter is, I can't give up on my dream.   I started my Arbonne business 5 years ago, and I truly believe that I will make it to the top of the company.   I've watch other women rise to the top, get their Mercedes Benz (the company car), and I think, "why not me?"   Even though I could make more money now at my parent's company, in the long run I know that I can make fantastic money on my own terms.   Plus, I really don't want to work full time!   If we decide to have a baby in a few years, I want to be working from home...but still pulling in a great income!  

I made a commitment 5 years ago when I began this journey, and I intend to follow through.    Jake and I were talking about it the other day and he told me "I believe you will do it.  I can see that Mercedes in our driveway, I can see us in a better home, and you running your business the way you want."   I can see it too.   

And so, I'm going to keep doing what it takes!  My days as a bartender are numbered.   And even though I'm under a lot of stress now, I just keep trying to remember that it's temporary.   I'm willing to put in the time.  To do some things I don't want to do for a little while, so I can do what I really want to do for a long while.

Plus, a really awful side of me can't wait to park that Mercedes next to all of the people who have rolled their eyes at my promise, that someday I'd have one! 

After all, my fortune cookie just told me:

"Reach for your dreams.  Start with the spring rolls."  

(TWO more days until my dance recital....freaking out.)

Review and giveaway coming up.... stay tuned. 




6 comments:

  1. Just keep working on it lady! I'm a big believer that if you want something badly enough, you can make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just breathe.

    i'm sure everything will work out positively in the end.

    and good luck with your dance recital.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathe, girl! One day at a time. Your dance recital will be great! Your schedule will adjust in a few days, and you'll be drinking sangria (or wine or something) over dinner with your hubby and laughing at all the craziness.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's a lot of work.
    It's good that you have a main focus.
    Stay strong.
    But make sure you try to takE breaks to relieve stress.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your life is basically full, full, full. But I KNOW you can do it :) better not settle for temporary convenience that doesn't make you happy and just go for your dreams, jump with both feet :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that you can do it! You have such a strong desire to get there and whatever you set ur mind to and work hard for will happen.

    ReplyDelete